Munchies at the Movies
I went to the movies last night for the first time in a really long time. I saw The Last Song (you know, that Miley Cyrus movie). It was surprisingly really good! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
However, just the smell of movie theater popcorn made me hungry. Seriously, that stuff smells soooo delish. Somehow I managed to actually plan ahead for this one. I brought my Nalgene water bottle with me and tossed a Clif Mojo bar in my purse. [Side note: I know you’re not supposed to bring your own snacks to the movies, but I would much rather get busted for bringing healthy food with me than waste a ton of calories on candy. But don’t get me wrong – I definitely splurge on some movie theater popcorn every now and then ;)]
Coincidentally, I opened my email today to see my weekly Beachbody newsletter. At the end of the newsletter, there is nutritional info for some of your favorite movie theater snacks. Here are the details:
- Reese’s Pieces® (8 ounces) – 1,200 calories. Other interesting nutritional information: 57.2 grams total fat (45.7 grams saturated fat); 486 milligrams of sodium; 148.6 grams of carbs (5.7 grams of dietary fiber and 137.2 grams of sugar); 28.6 grams of protein; and 114.3 milligrams of calcium.
- Medium Buttered Popcorn (11 cups) – 900 calories. Other interesting nutritional information: 50 grams total fat (30 grams saturated fat) and 87 grams of carbs (15 grams of dietary fiber).
- Skittles® (6.75 ounces) – 776 calories. Other interesting nutritional information: 7.8 grams total fat (all saturated fat); 31 milligrams of sodium; 174.2 grams of carbs (146.2 grams of sugar); and 46.7 milligrams of calcium.
- Peanut M&M’s® (5.3 ounces) – 762 calories. Other interesting nutritional information: 39.6 grams total fat (15.2 grams saturated fat); 15 milligrams of cholesterol; 91.5 grams of carbs (6.1 grams dietary fiber and 76.2 grams of sugar); 15.2 grams of protein; and 121.9 milligrams of calcium.
- Large Minute Maid® Lemonade (44 ounces) – 605 calories. Other interesting nutritional information: 82 milligrams of sodium; 148.5 grams of carbs (132 grams of sugar); 11 grams of protein; 110 milligrams of calcium; and 2,474.6 milligrams of potassium.
It definitely makes you think twice about what you’re eating (and drinking)! Glad I brought my snacks with me this time, even if I do indulge in some popcorn every now and then!